Join us Sunday, June 13 at 11 am Worship, as welcome our summertime Office Manager, Audrey Loeffler, or stop by the office during office hours and say hello.
ADULT VACATION BIBLE STUDY
Our adult VBS will have it all: Worship, Bible “Study and Play”, Crafts, Music, Food, and Fellowship
RETURN TO IN PERSON WORSHIP
Sunday May 23 – return to in-person service. The following protocols MUST be followed in order to attend in-person services at TLC:
- Masks will be required. If you don’t have one, one will be provided.
- There will be NO SINGING at this time. Please use this time to listen to the song leader and participate in prayerful meditation.
- We will maintain physical distance throughout the service and ask that you seat only with those members of your own household.
- In order to maintain physical distance, some pews will be unavailable.
- This will be a no touch service – no handshakes, hugs, passing the offering plate, sharing of the peace. There will be an offering plate placed in the rear of the sanctuary.
- If you are not feeling well, please stay home and join us online.
- When using the restroom, please lock the door upon your entry. We will only allow one person at a time inside the restrooms. The men’s bathroom is still closed; men will have to use the restroom in the Fellowship Hall, following the same guidelines.
We are in DIRE need of TWO volunteers to help run the iPad and multimedia during our streaming services! Without help, we won’t be able to provide the live stream of worship. Please let the office or Jan Gibson know if you are able to help us. Thank you!
Sunday Morning Bible Study at Trinity Resumes on May 30th
It’s been over a year since the Bible study group was able to convene around our table in the Fellowship Hall. And while the Bible study has continued via email, there really is no replacement for being in a place where we can read, pray, and reflect on the Bible together. Finally, that time has come again! Beginning on May 30th, we will meet at the usual time (9:45-10:45) in our usual place (the Fellowship Hall) directly before worship. We will wear masks and spread out, but the important thing is that the Spirit will be present with us. Our first meeting will be on the Sunday after Pentecost.
On May 30th we will begin a new study in on the Johannine epistles (1 John, 2 John, and 3 John). These three short documents open an intriguing window into the life of the early church. The communities to whom these letters are addressed have recently experienced conflict and division in their ways of seeing Jesus. The author writes to clarify the gospel and to reaffirm Jesus as the incarnation of God’s love.
Invitation to Join the Ministry of Books Team
In our most recent council meeting, council decided to expand the Ministry of Books into a collaborative effort with Foothill Presbyterian and La Vida Nueva. Thus far, the Ministry of Books has initiated two projects:
- Books for the Homeless—We have joined the Porterville Little Libraries Project and will be constructing and placing a Little Library in front of the Welcome Center. It will be up to this the ministry team to find out what books are needed and to keep the Little Library stocked. (example shown) We still need help building our “Little Library.” Please let the office or Ann Marie know if you are interested. Thank you!
- Trinity Theological Library—Trinity now has a Theological Library (probably the most extensive in the community). It will be up to the ministry team to plan how to make use of this valuable resource, perhaps including the development of classes and presentations on the Bible and theology.
The time has come to plan the further development of these two ministries, as well as to consider other projects that might benefit our community. For example, through partnering with La Vida Nueva, I am sure that we can find ways to distribute appropriate books in both Spanish and English—and explore ways in which books might be used to bring our three congregations together.
This is an exciting opportunity—and today I am inviting you to join the team. If you have any interest in any aspect of the Ministry of Books—please join! Or if you have any questions about how this might work for you, please ask! To join or to learn more contact Ann Marie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 559-791-0286.
From Pastor Jodi
I would like to invite each of you to a weekly Bible study where we will look at the text that I will be preaching on the following week. This study will happen each Sunday on Zoom at 4 p.m. I know that this next week, Feb. 7 is Super Bowl Sunday and if you aren’t watching the game, I would love to have you join me.
Join Zoom Meeting…
Another opportunity to give for those who love to shop…
If you use AMAZON.COM to shop at any time, we have now signed up for their Smile program, which donates a portion of any purchases you make to Trinity Lutheran Church. Here are the instructions on how to do it:
For your phone: Download or update to the latest version of the Amazon Shopping app on your phone. You can find it in the App Store for iOS or Google Play for Android. Open the app and find ‘Settings’ in the main menu (☰).
Tap on‘AmazonSmile‘ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn on AmazonSmile on your phone.
For your computer: To change your charitable organization:
- Sign in to amazon.comon your desktop or mobile phone browser.
- From your desktop, go to Your Account and select the option to Change your Charity. Or, from your mobile browser, select Change your Charity from the options at the bottom of the page.
- Select a new charitable organization to support.
Note: You can also hover over the Supporting notice in the navigation at the top of any page, and then select the Change link next to the name of the charity you’re currently supporting.
For more information about the AmazonSmile program, go to http://smile.amazon.com/about.
We welcome Pastor Jodi Golden-Lund who will be serving as Interim Pastor for Trinity and Foothill Presbyterian as we begin our joint search for our next pastor. Pr. Jodi will begin officiating our Worship Services on Sunday, January 17th, 2021 via our TLC YouTube channel. Please refer to the letter from President Julie McIntosh for more details as we will be sharing Pr. Jodi with Foothill Presbyterian Church.
As of July 12, 2020, Online Worship Services are being provided. We now have a YouTube Channel
When you click on the above link, you should be able to access our worship videos beginning Sunday, July 12, 2020. You can also go to YouTube, and put “Trinity Lutheran Church of Porterville, CA” in the search bar and find the service that way. Once you find the link, please “subscribe” to make it easier for you to find our channel! Happy Worship!!
NOTICE AS OF MARCH 19, 2020:
The council and Pastor Jim have made the following decision:
There will be no more face-to-face worship for the near future, including Sundays as well as Wednesday evening Lent Services, due to the directive from the CDC and Washington that no more than 10 people gather at one time due to COVID-19. We are doing this as an abundance of caution for all our church family. Please share this information with other members that you know who do not have access to email or our Facebook page, or those who don’t check it regularly. Thank you!
The office will remain open during regular hours – Mon-Thur, 9-1 pm and Tues from 9-12 pm. The office manager will be available to take care of various church needs as well as provide the community with food. Donations of food are still needed, knowing how difficult it is for people to get items right now. Please only donate food at this time. Thank you.
Please remember that our church finances will remain the same, so please feel free to mail in your offerings or drop them off in person during office hours. Thank you for continuing to support our church ministries.
Please stay healthy and shelter in place as much as possible. Check on each other, take care of each other. With God’s love and help, we will get through this. Keep praying, keep reading your Bible. His love and guidance will get you through.
Trinity Lutheran Church is:
– a community where those who didn’t think they had a community can find a home.
– a community where we celebrate each others gifts.
– a community where we take scripture seriously.
– a community where we come together to grow in faith and love.
– a community where YOU can belong.
We are a community that has experienced first hand the power of God’s love and grace in our own lives. Out of response to the gift of love and grace that we have received, we seek to share that experience with others. As our mission statement proclaims, “Sharing God’s love and grace, we INVITE, EMBRACE, and NURTURE everyone unconditionally into a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.”
Trinity places a special emphasis on serving the needs of our community with our Food Pantry and our partnership with the Porterville Area Coordinating Council. Our annual Bazaar (held in November) is part of our commitment to our community, where we give 100% of the proceeds to community ministries that provide food and serve others. Bless you!